Whilst squeezing the juice from a lemon is totally normal, and cooking with it is something many of us have done, there’s always one part that seems to go to waste – the skin, or specifically, the ‘zest’.
Other than grating a small amount into a cake, have you ever tried using the zest in any other way? If not, today’s post will shed some light on the brilliant benefits of getting zesty….
- It packs in a huge amount of nutrients like:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
- Beta Carotene
- It’s high in fiber: Gastrointestinal issues are at epidemic levels in the western world right now, with many people worrying about getting ‘enough’ protein, but forgetting that they’re missing out on one of the most important aspects of their diet. Eating fiber ensures that what goes into the body, eventually comes out of the other end after it’s done what it needs to do. Without enough fiber, the body isn’t able to rid itself of waste, and toxins begin to build up, eventually causing discomfort and disease.
- It helps eradicate toxic elements from the body, thus reducing the risk of cancer: A mixture containing lemon peel was shown in a study to prevent, and help reduce the volume and size of prostate tumors, and colon and breast cancers, and can prevent the spread of cancerous cells. It’s also been seen to help enhance self destruction of those cells.
- It helps with weight loss: Lemon zest can be a powerful way to increase metabolism, and reduce the amount of fat and toxic sugars absorbed by the body. It also contains pectin, which has been shown to help with weight loss.
- It’s high in limonene, which can protect against skin cancer: Skin can be protected from both the outside and the inside. If you’re heading out in the sun this July, add a tsp of lemon zest to your water for extra flavour and extra protected skin!
How To Use It:
- Grate lemon zest over your meals, into your water, or into your tea
- Add when baking
- After squeezing a lemon, store the peel in the freezer, and grate a little at a time when needed
- Boil them: add 10 lemon peels to boiling water and simmer for 5-10 minutes, then drink the water.
Let us know what you think!